To earn a bachelor's degree from the College of Letters and Science at UCSB, you will have to fulfill all of the General Education Program requirements as listed in official university publications (General Catalog, Guide to Undergraduate Studies, General Education brochure), unless you fit into one of the categories listed below:
Completed All IGETC Requirements and Certified by a California Community College:
If you completed IGETC requirements at a California Community College, please follow the steps below to ensure that your record correctly reflects your standing at UCSB:
1. Ask your California community college to send the UCSB Office of Admissions an official statement indicating that you have fully completed the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) prior to your first regular term at UCSB.
2. Check your UCSB New Student Profile (available through GOLD) and verify that your record shows your completed IGETC.
3. If you believe that you completed IGETC but your New Student Profile does not indicate this, check with your community college to be sure that you have truly fulfilled all IGETC requirements. If you have indeed fulfilled them, confirm that your community college has sent notification to the College of Letters and Science at UCSB.
Completed Some IGETC Requirements and Received Partial IGETC Certification:
Transfer students who have not completed all of IGETC may be eligible for Partial IGETC. This allows students to complete their remaining one-or-two courses after transferring to UCSB.
If you have been approved for Partial IGETC, please follow the steps below:
1. Ask your community college to send your Partial IGETC certification to UCSB.
2. See the "UCSB Guidelines for IGETC after Transfer" and meet with a Letters and Science academic advisor in the Transfer Student Center if you have any questions.
3. Once you have finished the course or courses that complete the IGETC requirements, submit an IGETC petition.
Completed Entire Breadth/GE Requirement at Another UC (Reciprocity):
If you fully completed your general education requirements at another UC Campus, please follow the steps below:
1. Ask your prior University of California campus to send UCSB an official statement indicating that you fully satisfied the breadth/general education requirements at that campus.
2. Check your UCSB New Student Profile (available through GOLD) and verify that your record shows your completed breadth/general education requirements.
3. If you believe that you completed breadth/GE but your New Student Profile does not indicate this, check with your previous UC campus to be sure that you have truly fulfilled all requirements. If you have indeed fulfilled them, confirm that your previous school has sent notification to the College of Letters and Science at UCSB.
How to request a letter of reciprocity from UCSB? :
If you are transferring to another UC and complete all the UCSB breadth/GE requirements, you can request a letter of reciprocity from us, and we will send it to the other UC.
1. Email email@example.com once you have been accepted to the other UC and have submitted your SIR (statement of intent to register) with the following:
Whether you are requesting a Bachelors of Arts or Science
The name of the other UC and their mailing address (email is fine due to COVID-19 pandemic)
2. Once we receive your request, we will email it before the deadline to submit your documents.