Graduating Soon?


If you are in your senior year and need guidance with your final requirements, you can meet with an advisor.  Senior Checks walk-ins are every Monday and Friday from 9:30-11:30am in 1117 Cheadle Hall.  You can also call 805-893-2038 or go online to schedule an appointment at

 - After reaching 135 credit units (or senior status), students must complete another 35 units while in residence at UCSB.  If they go abroad or participate in UCDC or UC Sacramento during their senior year, students have the option of completing the 35 academic residency units after reaching 90 units (or junior status). 

 - Students are required to meet a 2.0 GPA in their cumulative GPA, major GPA, and UD major GPA.

 - Students need at least a 180 units to graduate if they met the language requirement in high school and 184 units if they did not fulfill the language requirement in high school.

 - Students need at least a 180 units to graduate, and at least 60 of those units need to be upper division (from courses listed 100-199).

 - Make sure to declare candidacy on GOLD for the quarter in which you will complete all degree requirements.

 - Sign up for Commencement ceremonies begins late February.

 - Taking less than 12 units? Make sure to fill out a Deficit Load petition with the College and a Partial Fee Reduction petition with the Registrar. 

Degree Requirements

See the Degree Requirements page for details on completing a degree.

Degree Checks

Students can run a GE Progress Check and  Degree Audit (which covers Major requirements) at any time through the GOLD system to check for remaining requirements and progress towards graduation.  They can be found under PROGRESS  in the top menu in GOLD.  PLEASE NOTE:  these are the same tools used by College and department advisors, as well as the Registrar to clear students for graudation.    

The Progress Check consists of the College's requirements to graduate such as unit count, GEs, and residency requirements.   The Degree Audit displays progress in the major (courses and GPA requirements) in addition to the College's requirements--therefore the Degree Audit gives a more complete picture of what is required to complete your degree.


For instructions on how to declare candidacy on GOLD and signing up for a commencement ceremony, go to the Registrar's website: and click on Registration, then click on Declare Candidacy for Graduation and Commencement.   Note: you must declare candidacy first and then sign up for commencement.

See the Commencement Website for details on commencement.