Drop-ins and Appointments

Letters and Science Advisors Available Monday-Friday for Drop-ins and Appointments

Advisors are available for drop-in or phone-in advising Monday-Friday 9:30-11:30 a.m. and 1:00-3:30 p.m. in 1117 Cheadle Hall or at the Transfer Student Center in the UCSB Library (1st floor, "oceanside"). If you're on campus, we highly recommend that you meet with an advisor in person. Get in line via QLess to see a drop-in advisor  in Cheadle Hall.  Transfer students can just go the TCS.  If you're unable to come in, you can call (805) 893-2038 during these hours to speak with an advisor. Drop-in/phone-in meetings are for urgent matters or questions and concerns which can be addressed in about 10 minutes.  

If you believe you have a more complicated situation and would like to arrange a half hour appointment with an advisor, come to 1117 Cheadle Hall or call (805) 893-2038 during the above hours to speak with an advising associate who will help you decide whether an appointment or a drop-in meeting is appropriate, and if so will help you schedule an appointment.

Appointments can also be scheduled online, but please note that an appointment can be scheduled only two weeks out and that appointment slots fill quickly. If there are no available appointments, we suggest that you come in and speak with a drop-in advisor.

Also, specialized Honorspre-healthpre-law, and international student advisors are available in Cheadle 1117. For pre-health, Dr. Stephen Blain will be available to advise junior and senior pre-health students on an appointment basis. Appointment link here: https://appts.apps.duels.ucsb.edu/index.aspx.

Be sure to bring a Photo ID when you meet with an advisor!

Quick Links:

Departmental versus College Advising

UCSB students are expected to work closely with their departmental advisors on matters involving major requirements; academic advising on all other subjects (e.g., general education, graduation, residency) falls primarily to the advisors in the College advising office (Cheadle Hall 1117) or in the Transfer Student Center. To get the most out of UCSB’s advising resources, students are encouraged to develop relationships with both College and departmental advisors.

Do I Need an Appointment?

Many times we can answer a students' questions immediately either in the Cheadle Hall advising office or in the Transfer Student Center so there is no reason to wait for an appointment. Please consult the chart below. If your concern isn't included here, please click here to get in line to see an advsior in the 1117 Cheadle Hall, or visit the Transfer Student Center, and we will answer your question and/or help you schedule an appointment. If you try to schedule an appointment but none are available, please come (or call) 1117 Cheadle or the TSC for help with any pressing issues. 

Need advice on: Drop-in Make an Appointment
Academic probation X  
Add and/or drop a course X  
Changing grading option (Passed/Not Passed vs. Letter) X  
Choosing a major   X
Considering a double major   X
Degree/Progress check   X
Discuss dropping a course X  
Discuss repeating a course X  
Discuss taking time off   X
Dropped from a course X  
EAP planning form X  
Enrollment agreement X  
Intercampus visitor X  
Long-range planning to graduate by a particular target term   X
MCP (Minimum Cumulative Progress) X  
Schedule planning * (This is not course selection. See description below.) X  
Non UC Study Abroad Leave form X  
Picking up or submitting a petition X  
Registration block X  
Required to change my major X  
Returning after an absence   X
2nd repeat X  
Senior check ** (see below for hours and info) X X
Taking GEs elsewhere (including in summer)? X  
Transfer from Engineering or Creative Studies & not in good standing X  
Transfer to another institution  X  
Withdrawing from the current quarter X  

*Advisors will review your requirements with you for an efficient plan to complete them. Note: they will not choose your classes for you.

** Senior check hours are Monday & Friday, 9-11:30 am at 1117 Cheadle.  Transfer students can go to the Transfer Student Center in the Library. Please note that your Major Progress Check on GOLD is the exact same tool that advisors and the Registrar uses and you can use this to run your own senior check.  If you have questions about it, then you should see an advisor.

Contacting Specific Academic Program Staff

Visit the respective page on our website to find the direct contact information for our various programs. The Academic Programs, Honors, and Research Opportunities pages of our site include specific contact information for our programs, such as: