On this page, you can learn about the Honors Program requirements for admission. During the July application time period, eligible students (who are not new to UCSB in the fall) may visit this page to apply online. Please read the eligibility information below.
You must be a student in the College of Letters and Science to participate in the Honors Program. There are two ways by which students can earn admittance to the Program:
- Prior to your first term at UCSB: Eligible freshmen will be notified about joining Honors when notified about UCSB admission (note: Regents Scholars are automatically admitted).
- By applying to the program between your freshman and sophomore years, if you have completed at least 36 letter-graded units with a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or above.
Please note: Effective Fall 2018, the L&S Honors Program has transitioned to a freshman/sophomore program designed to provide opportunities for students who are just beginning their education to discover a wide variety of majors across the College. Transfer students, having chosen a major, are no longer eligible for admission. All of the other opportunities to earn an Honors designation are available to transfers. In particular,
- Transfer students are encouraged to pursue Departmental Honors (Distinction in the Major). This might involve individual or small-group research with faculty, leading to a Senior Thesis. See the Departmental Honors Program page for details.
In addition, transfer students in L&S are eligible for
- Honors at graduation, awarded to the top 20 percent of graduating students who complete 76 or more letter-graded UC units, as follows:
- Highest Honors – Top 2.5 percent
- High Honors – Next 6 percent
- Honors – Next 11.5 percent
- College Honors, awarded to graduating students who have completed 135 or more letter-graded UC units with a GPA of 3.85 or higher.
- Dean’s Honors, granted at the end of each quarter to all students who have earned a GPA of 3.75 or higher on 12 or more letter-graded units for the quarter, with no NP grades. Dean’s Honors are noted on transcripts.
The application is always available online here during the month of July. Eligible students apply online and will be notified of decisions in early August after the application closes. The application period for 2020-21 was the month of July 2020. The application is closed for 2020-21.
Remember that, at your time of application, you must be a current UCSB student and be in the summer between your freshman and sophomore years. If you will be a new UCSB student in the fall, you do not use this application since incoming students are notified of their eligibility to join the Honors Program. For more information, please visit the FAQ page or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Please note: You will not receive a confirmation email when you submit your application; you'll see a confirmation page. By mid-August students will receive more information via email.