Estimated annual campus deadline: Late September
The Churchill Scholarships offers outstanding American students the opportunity to pursue graduate studies in engineering, mathematics, or science at Churchill College, the University of Cambridge.
Eligibility: Seniors or students who have graduated within the past academic year in mathematics, engineering, or sciences; U.S. citizens and nationals; GPA 3.7 or higher; must have attained a BA upon taking up the scholarship, and not have received a doctorate
Award: Up to $50,000 to pursue graduate study at University of Cambridge.
Campus nomination: required for all UCSB applicants.
Expanded Scholarship Details:
The Churchill Scholarships offers American students, endorsed by their colleges or universities, the opportunity to pursue graduate studies in engineering, mathematics, or science at Churchill College, the University of Cambridge. The scholarship provides funding for a year of Master’s study, offering unique opportunities to undertake independent research, make connections with future colleagues from around the world, and study at the only college at Cambridge that is focused on STEM subjects.. The Scholarship was set up at the request of Sir Winston Churchill in order to fulfil the vision of US-UK scientific exchange with the goal of advancing science and technology on both sides of the Atlantic.
At UCSB, students are considered for endorsement by the associate deans in the College of Letters and Science. Students should send an email indicating their interest in the Churchill Scholarship to firstname.lastname@example.org, and they will be contacted by our office, which coordinates the campus endorsement process for all UCSB undergraduates, regardless of their colleges. Our office works closely with students as they prepare their applications; therefore, students should arrange to consult with our office well in advance of the application deadline. In addition, students should consult with a professor in their areas of interest throughout the application process. For detailed information about the application process and for the application form, go to www.winstonchurchillfoundation.org.
- U.S. citizens and nationals;
- Senior standing or have graduated within the past academic year in mathematics, engineering, or sciences;
- Outstanding academic achievement (a cumulative UCSB GPA of 3.7 or higher is required)
- Holds a bachelor's degree or an equivalent by the beginning of the scholarship program, and has not attained a doctorate.
Campus Application Deadline for 2017: 4:00 PM, Monday, September 24, 2018
The applicant must submit the following hard copy materials to 1117 Cheadle Hall by no later than 4:00 PM the day of the campus deadline:
- A completed, printed, and signed version of the online application available at the Churchill website (Remember: DO NOT “submit” the application through the Churchill website unless you are nominated by UCSB!)
- If relevant and available, a copy of any correspondence from a laboratory director or supervisor at Cambridge.
- Digital versions of official transcripts from all universities attended, including UCSB.
The following document originals should be sent directly to the address below by the originating institution or recommender, and must also arrive the campus deadline:
- Four signed letters of recommendation on departmental letterhead accompanied by the recommendation cover sheet available at the Churchill website. Please inform all recommendation writers of the campus deadline and provide them the mailing information below.
Note that this competition no longer requires hard copy transcripts with the application as of 2017. Hard copy transcripts will only be requested after applicants are selected as Churchill scholars.
All hard copy recommendation letters should be mailed to the address below:
Attention: Scholarships Coordinator
1117 Cheadle Hall
Division of Undergraduate Education
College of Letters and Science
University of California, Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara, CA 93106-2085
Please note that the Churchill Foundation also requires that applicants apply simultaneously but separately for admission to the University of Cambridge as a graduate student. The University of Cambridge application is not handled by our office, and has a separate deadline, usually in mid-October. You must apply seeking a Master's degree and list the Churchill College as the first choice for the purposes of scholarship eligibility. See the Application Instructions at the Churchill website for details. Note that as of 2018 Churchill no longer requires or considers GRE scores for the graduate school portion of the application.
Please contact our office at email@example.com if you have any questions regarding the nomination process.