A message from our Pre-Law advisors, Tanya Higuera and Miguel Moran-Lanier:
Law is a complex, competitive field that remains a popular career option among students at UCSB. If you are attracted to the law profession, we welcome you to the challenge! UCSB’s Pre-Law Advising program is designed to help students like you in planning a path to law school.
If you are interested in pursuing law, we encourage you to do the following:
- Call (805) 893-2038 to schedule a pre-law appointment. This type of consultation is appropriate if you have in-depth questions, need help in preparing for law school admissions, and/or want to develop an individualized academic plan. For more urgent or brief questions, visit the College Advising Office (1117 Cheadle Hall) for a Drop-in appointment, on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, from 1:00–3:30 p.m. Alumni or students away from the area can call the number above during drop-in hours for a phone-in appointment.
- Review the Official Guide to US Law Schools.
- Talk to people who have a connection to the legal profession. Be prepared to hear about the advantages as well as the disadvantages.
- Consider visiting Career Services office, which is another helpful resource for students exploring law. There, a career advisor with a focus on law can assist you in exploring the legal profession and assessing whether or not the field is fitting to your strengths and preferences.
- Finally, please take the time to explore our website. Whether you already have begun the law school application process or you are in the first stages of considering the law profession, I am confident that you will find some helpful information.
We look forward to meeting with you, answering your questions, and providing guidance as you consider a career in law!
Tanya Higuera & Miguel Morán-Lanier
While not particularly complicated, the process of applying to law school can be very time-consuming. The following will help guide you through the process: Law Application Process